Sheridan, Oregon
September 26-27, 1998


Launches are held twice a year in Sheridan, Oregon, on a sod farm. My favorite launch site by far, its a huge expanse of grass and dirt, perfect for rocketry. Thanks again to my Brother, Brad, for taking the pictures. Click on any image for a larger view.

A perfect day at the launch site. Low 70's, low to moderate wind, little or no clouds. This is looking back at the flight line and LCO table from down range.
This is Dale Campbell's LOC Magnum on, I belive, a Kosdon J-180. The rocket gods were not smiling on Dale that Saturday. His first try with the Magnum was on an Aerotech I-435, which Cato'd. Looked like a propellant void, or stripped grain. The rocket was not damaged, and this was his second try with the Magnum. However, the motor didnt deliver enough thrust for the beast.
Here is the next image we caught of Dale's Magnum. Notice the smoke trail leading to the impact site, maked by the dirt cloud. The rocket arced over to horizontal at about the same time the motor came up to full thrust. Perfect cruise missle trajectory...
Remains of Dale's Magnum after the cruise missle mission. The rocket impacted and skipped across the ground several times, destroying the nose cone and most of the body. The fin can survived, though, and Dale assured us the Magnum will fly again!
Here I am standing next to the Triad, my 3x38mm cluster rocket. This was the rocket's second flight, on 3 Aerotech I-357 Blue Thunder motors.
Liftoff on the I-357's. Check out the flame on that, about 4 feet! We didnt get all the motors lit, though! Only 2 lit, although it still reached about 2500 feet. We're going to try the same flight again in November at Millican, Oregon. We WILL get all 3 motors to light, Dammit!
Recovery was less than perfect. The dual deployment system worked great, however the wind decided to deposit the rocket in the only powerlines within miles. We got everything back later that day after the wind pulled the rocket closer to the ground, and a passerby tugged it off the lines. The power company arrived minutes later. Hows that for timing.
While we were waiting for the Triad to fall off the power lines, I got in a few flights on the Raptor, kit by Hawk Mountain. My first all-fiberglass kit.
The Raptor's maiden flight, liftoff on an Estes Dark Star F-62.
Still going up. I'm not sure how Brad got two pictures of this launch, the minimum diameter rocket really cooked off the pad!
And here we are, just before my final flight of the day. The Triad was back from its powerline adventure, and since it uses the same payload/altimiter secion as the Megaroc, I got it (The Megaroc) ready to go with a Kosdon I-440. I was excited to try out this motor. It has a burn time of about half a second, more of a contolled explosion. I was excited to see how the Megaroc flew with this behind it.
Unfortunately, its a little hard to see the dark colored Megaroc in this picutre with the dark background, this was quite a liftoff. Brad was once again lucky to catch it. The LCO counted down, hit the button, there was a BANG, and it was GONE! Notice the white flame, tradmark of a Kosdon motor.
Back on the ground, the altimiter (Olsen Advanced Electronics) from the Megaroc reports '2627 feet.' Hard to see in the picture, click on it and its easier to see in the larger view. I plan on flying the same Kosdon I-440 motor in a smaller rocket at Milican next month. Should be FUN!

ButtonBar Image Map

Rocketry | Experimental | Webhosting | Email | Links | Home
Copyright 1998-2014 Greg Deputy - All Rights Reserved